- From left to right: Steve Benjamin, Joe Phillips, Mike Minor, Roy Ellamar, Harley Carbery, Christina Olivarez, Richard Betts, Doug Bell, Bobby Stuckey, Shawn McClain, Christophe Tassan, Gail Simmons, Mary Sue Milliken, Jason Smith, Susan Feniger, Patrick
- Aureole executive chef Vincent Pouessel demonstrates hand-making pastas.
- BarMasa chef and creator Masa Takayama and host Gail Simmons at the Ultimate Champagne and Sashimi event.
- Fleur chef and creator Huber Keller and his wife Chantal at the Surfside Soirée on Mandalay Bay Beach.
- Aria chefs Shawn McClain, Michael Mina, Masa Takayama, Jean-Georges Vongerichten, Julian Serrano and Jean-Philippe Maury with Food & Wine’s Gail Simmons at the All-Star Lunch.
- Diego executive chef Christina Olivarez and Food & Wine’s Gail Simmons at the tequila tasting event for third annual Food & Wine All-Star Weekend.
- Winemaker Todd Anderson introduces his Ghost Horse Wine at Craftsteak.
- Desserts created by chefs Vincent Pilon, Bruno Riou and Orady Ditgnavong at miX.
- Master sommeliers Richard Betts, Bobby Stuckey, Jason Smith and Emmanuel Kemiji at Bellagio’s Tuscany Kitchen.
Here's a sight you don't see every day. The chefs and sommeliers who participated in the Food & Wine All-Star Weekend dove in to Mandalay Bay Beach for a photo opp on Friday. Sommeliers rolled up their suit pants while host Gail Simmons even got the hem of her dress wet.
Shawn McClain of Sage, in town for the event, confirmed rumors that he is opening a second location at Aria, this time a more casual concept. No word on where it will be located, but McClain says construction starts after a renovation of the buffet there.
Joe Phillips, the master sommelier from Michael Mina at the Bellagio, says the flagship restaurant may undergo a renovation soon as well.
Mike Minor, the executive chef of Border Grill at Mandalay Bay, says he's close to hiring a new chef. Susan Feniger and Mary Sue Milliken report they're still searching for a spot to open a second Border Grill location on the Strip as well as an outlet at McCarran International Airport.
Masa Takayama served up sashami dishes paired with Champagnes on Saturday while Gail Simmons hosted the event. The master sushi chef shared that he designed the interior of his BarMasa at Aria along with some of the pottery featured there. Rob Bigelow, the master sommelier and director of food and beverage at Aria, attempted to saber three different Champagne bottles to no avail. Guests didn't seem to mind; Angel Black and Angel Platinum, sold only at Aria, were among the Champagnes served along with Takayama's infamous toro caviar.
Guests dove into the beach at Mandalay Bay on Saturday night to dine on dishes from the chefs at the resort. Border Grill served up a whole pig while Hubert Keller from Fleur walked the beach with his pants rolled up. Sources say only six tickets were sold to the original poolside tasting planned at the Mirage, but those guests were allowed to come to the Surfside Soiree instead.
· All Coverage of Food & Wine All-Star Weekend [~ELV~]