Angelo Sosa's new Poppy Den opens Jan. 1 at Tivoli Village, bringing an Asian gastropub experience to the Westside in the former Petra space. Here's a look at eight must-know tidbits that will give diners a look at what to expect at the first restaurant to open in the new year.
1. Angelo Sosa is behind the restaurant. The chef out of New York City was on Top Chef: D.C. and Top Chef All Stars. In New York, he has Añejo Tequileria y Restaurante and Social Eatz, which will become Poppy Den as well.
2. While Poppy Den opens Jan. 1, the restaurant will start serving lunch and brunch on Jan. 5.
3. The Bibmibap Burger was voted Greatest Burger in America on Eater in 2011. At Poppy Den, Sosa plans to serve up the Poppy Burger, inspired by this dish.
4. Sosa plans to serve Asian-inspired dishes such as a fish sandwich with onion jam and dill, miso salmon with shisito peppers, Amma's homemade tomato soup, watermelon salad with goat cheese and potato chips and ice cream.
5. Sosa attended the Culinary Institute of America and worked at Stonehenge Restaurant & Inn, YumCha, Restaurant Jean Georges and Spice Market. He has also consulted for restaurants such as Buddakan and Morimoto in Philadelphia as well as Spoon Food & Wine in Paris.
6. Outside, the restaurant will feature a poppy garden.
7. Upstairs is dubbed The Den. Here the restaurant features "a large library of sake" and more.
8. The restaurant will be open seven days a week from 5:30 to 10 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and 5:30 to 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday. When brunch starts, look for that to be served from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday and lunch from 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. The Den will be open from 3:30 p.m. to 2 a.m.
· All Coverage of Poppy Den [~ELV~]