This is 10 Things You Didn't Know About?, where Eater Vegas talks to the fine chefs of Las Vegas to get some dirt on everything interesting their lives. Know an interesting chef? The tipline is open.
How do you get a job as a chef? If you’re Travis Herbert, you walk into the Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar in Salt Lake City and ask for a job that can let you pursue your passion by day. Ever since that fateful day in 2004, Herbert worked his way through the various line positions, and then became a sous chef. In May 2009, he landed the chef partner job right here in Vegas.
1. Before becoming a chef, I was a professional skier.
2. I’m a completely self-taught cook, learning from hands-on experience and family traditions.
3. I have a degree in Commercial Recreation Management.
4. Growing up, I would hunt with my parents and cook my food entirely from scratch.
5. I was born and raised in Montana.
6. My favorite thing to eat is bone-in New York strip au poivre with lobster tail.
7. The farthest place I’ve ever traveled to is St. Johns, Virgin Islands.
8. My favorite thing to watch on TV is the Tour de France.
9. In addition to skiing, my other hobbies include golf, wakesurfing, hiking, fishing, camping and anything outdoors.
10. The craziest thing I’ve has ever done was skiied myself off an 80-foot cliff into 6 feet of fresh snow.
· All Coverage of Fleming's Prime Steakhouse & Bar [~ELV~]