One of the toughest reservations in New York is at the Rao’s with its 10 tables and one seating. In Vegas, the far more spacious version of Rao’s is an easier reservation. And Frank Pellegrino Jr. should know. The fourth-generation scion of the family that founded and still owns the original in East Harlem has run Rao’s at Caesars Palace since 2006. In May, his first cookbook, Rao’s on the Grill, came out with photos he took and tips on summer entertaining on the grill. Here, he shares 10 things you didn’t know about him.
1. I started working for my family at the age of 12 at Rao’s in East Harlem. The majority of my knowledge of food, kitchen etiquette and hospitality has been instilled in me by my family.
2. In my spare time, I love to run and practice yoga.
3. My favorite vacationing spot is Southampton, N.Y.
4. I love dogs! I especially love bulldogs and Boston terriers.
5. My dream car is a 1968 Chevrolet Corvette 427 convertible.
6. If I was able to spend an evening cooking for someone famous, I would prepare a casual barbecue for the President of the United States and his cabinet.
7. If I could try my hand at another cuisine, it would be Chinese.
8. My favorite movie is Forrest Gump.
9. If I wasn’t a restaurant owner, I would love to be an artist.
10. When I am not at Rao’s, my favorite activity would have to be cooking and entertaining for friends and family at the house.
· All Coverage of Rao’s [~ELV~]
· All Coverage of 10 Things [~ELV~]
Frank Pellegrino Jr. [Photo: Rao's]