Megan Romano has always been a risk-taker. She had no experience as a chef and she talked her way into Charlie Trotter’s kitchen in Chicago. Then she convinced Charlie Palmer to bring her into the fold at Aureole in New York City, where she had three feet of space to divine pastry creations. She opened Aqua Terra in Palm Beach, Fla., then Aureole in Las Vegas. Now she takes a risk she can call all her own, opening the delightful Chocolate & Spice Bakery, her own restaurant that serves up her delectable desserts. Here, she shares 10 things, and perhaps a few extras, you may not have known about her.
1. I live with three food critics, ages 10, 8 , 4. I expect the honest truth.
2. I love cooking savory food. I make a mean pizza.
3. I now sleep with my cell phone under my pillow for an early wake up.
4. My favorite snack is ice cream and cookies, and I’ve been known to eat right out of the pint.
5. I sign up for triathlons when I can, usually the last entry on a dare from a friend.
6. I prefer to be outdoors rather than indoors.
7. I graduated from Northwestern University with a degree in communication studies, I thought leading into advertising.
8. My first job was at Charlie Trotter's with no previous experience.
9. I never did go to culinary school. I got all my experience from on-the-job training.
10. I dream of living in Bozeman, Mont., some day.
11. We cook at home often, despite cooking all day at the bakery. The kids all get a job.