- Bruce Bromberg of Blue Ribbon Sushi Bar & Grill cooking with Vernon Reid of Living Colour. Photo: Erik Kabik
- Susan Feniger and Mary Sue Milliken of Border Grill during their cooking demonstration. Photo: Erik Kabik
- Scott Conant of Scarpetta and D.O.C.G. Enoteca. Photo: Erik Kabik
- Jet Tila of Kuma Snow Cream. Photo: Erik Kabik
- Hubert Keller of Fleur and Burger Bar. Photo: Susan Stapleton
- Nacho Daddy. Photo: Susan Stapleton
Life Is Beautiful debuted over the weekend, taking over an L-shape around the Fremont East Entertainment District. More than 60 chefs showcased their dishes in the Culinary Village while others showed off their cooking skills during culinary demonstrations.
The event kicked off Friday night with Grills and Guitars with 16 celebrity chefs, including Bruce Bromberg, Aarón Sánchez, Scott Conant, Cat Cora, Rick Moonen, Kim Canteenwalla, Susan Feniger, Mary Sue Milliken, David Myers, Jet Tila and Clayton Arakawa with musical performances by Dawes and Todd Rundgren.
On Saturday, Aarón Sánchez packed the room with his Chefs on Stage cooking demonstration while Ben McKee of Imagine Dragons joined Jet Tila during his cooking demonstration and Youngblood Hawke cooked with Cat Cora.
On Sunday, more chef and musician collaborations hit the stage with Bruce Bromberg of Blue Ribbon Sushi Bar & Grill cooking with Vernon Reid of Living Colour and Chopped judge Scott Conant slinging knives with singer ZZ Ward.
Here now, a look at all the gossip you might have missed coming out of Life Is Beautiful.
1. Aarón Sanchez kept mum about his new Johnny Sanchez project rumored to be coming to Las Vegas with John Besh. But he did say he's changing up the menu at 11 of the 13 House of Blues restaurants across the country.
2. Former Citylife food critic Al Mancini says that Max Jacobson, John Curtas and he will not be publishing a 2013 edition of their Eating Las Vegas book.
3. Apparently Citylife decided to head to Los Angeles to find a second food critic to replace Mancini. Aside from Mitchell Wilburn, Eric Gladstone will be filing reviews for the weekly.
4. Vegas Uncork'd signed up five resorts for the 2014 edition from Bon Appétit. Aria, Bellagio, Caesars Palace and the Venetian and Palazzo will represent next year. One resort is on the fence about joining up.
5. Hubert Keller of Fleur and Burger Bar wasn't spinning at Life Is Beautiful, but says he will be bringing his mixmaster skills to Mix at Mandalay Bay for industry night starting next week on Wednesday.
6. Kuma Snow Cream will soon have plushie versions of their adorable polar bear mascots, made at the same factory that creates Hello Kitty stuffed animals.
7. Jet Tila also says his shave ice dessert spot is on the verge of a huge expansion, while BA plans to feature him in a food trends round up story later this year.
8. Rumor has it that Natalie Young's Eat will be part of Anthony Bourdain's upcoming Parts Unknown on CNN filming in Vegas. Any other restaurants can obviously tip Eater Vegas off on the tipline.
9. Due Forni brought a portable version of its 1,100-degree oven to the Culinary Village. Carlos Buscaglia says the second outpost of the restaurant will open in Austin around Thanksgiving.
10. Christian Dolias says Desnudo Tacos should open by Nov. 19. The project he's been working on with Christopher Palmeri will feature Mexican street food.
11. Top Chef Carla Pellegrino heads to Miami this Friday to start prepping for the opening of her $8 million rooftop fine dining restaurant, due to open in February. So far, the restaurant doesn't have a name, but she says it's attached to a hotel that is opening a new nightclub as well for a total price tag of $35 million.
12. Too Hot Tamales Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger smiled knowingly when asked about their second Vegas location of Border Gill, rumored to take over the P.J. Clarke's space in the front of the Forum Shops at Caesars.
13. Chopped judge Scott Conant says he ate at Kabuto while he was in Vegas for his book signing and watched the chefs at the tiny restaurant slice and dice a bluefin Ahi that "looked like Kobe beef."
· All Coverage of Life Is Beautiful [~ELV~]