Behold the newly renovated Wing Lei, the only Michelin-starred Chinese restaurant in Las Vegas. (OK, so Michelin stars were last awarded in Vegas in 2009, but still). Gone are the dark, dramatic lighting and reds, replaced by bright whites, golds and jade green. The restaurant closed in early October to undergo its makeover that includes dragon gates, Chinese jewels, more light, windows overlooking the garden, earthquake sensors and more. Here, 15 things you need to know about the Wynn Las Vegas restaurant's renovation.
1. The restaurant is bathed in jade green and gold, a combination often found in Chinese Jewels both historic and modern.
2. The custom carpet is modeled after a cloud motif found in an embroidered Imperial jackets of the Ming period.
3. The new entry is an interpretation of a dragon gate and reuses the crystals from the chandeliers once in the center of the front dining area.
4. The dining room features a completely new look that encompasses traditional Chinese elements in a contemporary setting.
5. Chinese panels with eclectic white and gold fabrics are featured throughout.
6. Large tassels anchor large frog beams that greet you at the entrance and then guide you into the restaurant through a very long eyebrow-shaped vaulted ceiling, finished in gold textured wall covering.
7. In between the frog beams are custom-made gold-leaf Chinese lanterns with long green silk tassels.
8. A separate semi-private dining room, divided by a custom Chinese panel screen on a track system, is finished in white, gold and a custom screen printed Chinese cherry blossom tree and birds.
9. New dining chairs are made with leather-like material on the inside seat and back while the outside back are in gold lame with embroidered abstract flowers with gold sequence.
10. The bar is now light and bright with a new window overlooking the outdoor garden.
11. Two antique earthquake sensors on clear Lucite bases flank the back bar. These are half turtle and half dragon statues that move when an earthquake is coming.
12. The garden water feature has changed to a beautiful gold dragon, specially lit to glow brightly like the sun.
13. Beautiful handmade drapes frame each window opening, all in white chenille and gold lurex fabrics.
14. All walls are finished in a handmade gold leaf and white waffle-like textured horizontal stripe, giving the room a very energetic and contemporary feeling.
15. The two private dining rooms remain, but are now finished with walls in all gold leaf, the wainscot finished in white and new white tables.
· All Coverage of Wing Lei [~ELV~]