Firefly Tapas Kitchen & Bar, the locals' favorite tapas restaurant at 3900 Paradise Road, was shut down over the weekend after several guests reported foodborne illnesses.
"The Southern Nevada Health District confirmed the restaurant's closure on Monday morning, but did not say when the restaurant closed or what measures would be required for it to reopen," KTNV reports.
Details are few and far between, and the Southern Nevada Health District has not posted the closing on its restaurant inspections Website as of now.
UPDATE: "Southern Nevada Health District officials say the Firefly restaurant on Paradise Road was shuttered Friday and remains closed while health officials try to determine the source of the outbreak," the Associated Press reports.
As many as 39 people who visited the tapas restaurant reported symptoms, the AP reports, and 10 said they sought medical attention for symptoms that included diarrhea and vomiting.
Food blogger John Curtas went on a rant on Eating Las Vegas about the quality of food at Firefly. "The only reason people go to these lame excuses for a tapas bar is because they're cheap. They use crappy-ass, Asian-farmed seafood, bad (usually stale) bread, and whatever else falls off the Sysco truck."
In the comments section, he notes that a number of readers wrote to him to report food poisoning after eating at Firefly.
Earlier this month, Firefly revealed plans for its newest location at 3842 Paradise Road in the former Mr. B's Bar & Grill space. The new space includes an 11,400-square-foot interior and a 2,000-square-foot patio.
Last September the company was planning to turn the original Paradise location into a new dining concept.
· Firefly on Paradise Shut Down after Reports of Illness [KTNV]
· Firefly Makes People Sick [ELV]
· All Coverage of Firefly [~ELV~]