Now the Southern Nevada Health District has posted the results of its restaurant inspection at Firefly Tapas Kitchen & Bar that shut down the restaurant on Friday. The restaurant received 44 demerits in what SNHD is calling a routine inspection, although 39 people reported foodborne illness symptoms.
SNHD found spoiled food, staff not washing their hands properly, ineffective pest control measures and more during the inspection.
The restaurant was shut down in July 2011 by SNHD as well and reopened the following day with an A grade.
Thirty-nine people reported food-related illnesses and 10 went to the hospital for their symptoms last week. Among them, UNLV junior Danielle Susz, who reported vomiting and stomach pains after taking her family to the restaurant. Susz along with her father and aunt ended up in the emergency room.
SNHD is reportedly testing the food at the restaurant, which will remain closed until the investigation is wrapped up. Environmental health director Amy Irani told 8 News Now that salmonella, the bacteria that causes food poisoning, could be caused by an employee not properly washing their hands.
"Salmonella is another instance of using raw eggs that are not pasteurized or product held at improper temperatures. So temperature violations, food handling violations, those are the major ones that cause any kind of foodborne illness," Irani said.
The Southern Nevada Health District routinely shuts down restaurants that receive more than 40 demerits. Restaurants have the option of requesting a re-inspection before the next scheduled inspection.
· UPDATED: Firefly Shuts Down after 3 Dozen Cases of Food Poisoning Reported [~ELV~]
· All Coverage of Firefly [~ELV~]
· All Coverage of DOH Chronicles [~ELV~]