The Southern Nevada Health District made calls on the other two Firefly Tapas Kitchen & Bar restaurants on West Sahara Avenue and Eastern Avenue in Henderson on Monday to see if the salmonella outbreak that hit the main location on Paradise Road last week affected either location.
SNHD handed the restaurant at 11261 S. Eastern Ave. an A grade with six demerits. The only violations inspectors found were an inadequate number of hand sinks and food unprotected from contamination by employees and consumers.
The Firefly at 9560 W. Sahara Ave. didn't fare as well, landing a C grade with 30 demerits. Inspectors found staff not properly washing their hands, potentially hazardous food improperly cooled and stored at the wrong temperature, and food unprotected from potential contamination by chemicals among the violations.
Previous inspections of both locations show mainly A grades with the occasional B grade quickly updated to an A after a re-inspecton
SNHD still reports the main location at 3900 S. Paradise Road as closed. Thirty-nine people reported foodborne illnesses after eating at Firefly last week, sparking an investigation by SNHD. The health agency found salmonella as the culprit for the vomiting, stomach pains and more reported. Ten people landed in the emergency room for treatment.
The Southern Nevada Health District routinely shuts down restaurants that receive more than 40 demerits. Restaurants have the option of requesting a re-inspection before the next scheduled inspection.
· UPDATED: Salmonella Caused 39 People to Get Sick at Firefly [~ELV~]
· More on the Shutdown of Firefly for Food Poisoning [~ELV~]
· UPDATED: Firefly Shuts Down after 3 Dozen Cases of Food Poisoning Reported [~ELV~]
· All Coverage of Firefly [~ELV~]
· All Coverage of DOH Chronicles [~ELV~]