Sad news out of San Francisco. Hubert Keller is shutting down his 28-year-old Fleur de Lys on June 28. "We have decided it's time to turn a page in our lives and close Fleur de Lys for good," said Keller in a statement on Fleur de Lys' Website.
Eater San Francisco says Keller's "Fleur de Lys was one of the first chef-driven restaurants, and was considered for many years to be among the top fine-dining spots in the country."
In the past two years, original owner Maurice Rouas, who ran the front of the house, died in 2012. Food critic Michael Bauer downgraded the restaurant to three stars in 2007 and then never returned for a review. And the restaurant lost its Michelin star in 2012 after "suffering from inconsistency over multiple years."
Keller still has his more casual Fleur here at Mandalay Bay and 10-year-old Burger Bar at Mandalay Place. Earlier this year, Keller recalled bringing Fleur de Lys to Mandalay Bay when the resort opened, coming on the heels of a remodel of his San Francisco outpost that was destroyed in a fire months later.
That's easy. That was triggered in 2001. We had remodeled in Fleur de Lys in San Francisco. That was entirely between one partner, my wife and myself who put all our money into the restaurant. The whole thing was brand new. So we did that. When that was finished, we lost everything in the fire. That was brutal. We just ran it like a restaurant in France. It took 11 months to rebuild. It was very painful to rebuild.
In 2010, Keller shuttered Fleur de Lys here to revamp the menu and convert it into Fleur.
· Hubert Keller Closing Fleur de Lys After 28 Years [~ESF~]
· Hubert Keller on 10 Years of Game-Changing Burger Bar [~ELV~]
· All Coverage of Hubert Keller [~ELV~]
Hubert Keller [Photo: MGM Resorts]