Face it, chefs don’t like Valentine’s Day. Diners get stuck with a prix fixe meal. And if you’re single, it feels as if everyone is suddenly coupled up. Don’t sit at home eating a pint of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream. Instead head out to one of these seven Singles Awareness Day alternatives in Las Vegas.
1. The D Date-A-Thon will attempt to break the world record for largest speed dating event this Valentine’s Day at the Downtown Las Vegas Events Center. It’s free to register for the event here. Plus ladies land Valentine’s themed SKYY Vodka drinks for half price plus $1 shots. More than 1,000 have already enrolled.
2. Due & Proper in Henderson leaves behind the gushy Valentine’s Day celebrations in favor of the Voodoo Valentine’s Day Party on Saturday. Look for drink specials, voodoo doll giveaways and a free spin on the Wheel of Death, after bringing in a picture of an ex to shred. For those who may not want to shred their ex, the Wheel of Death, specially priced at $8, will invite partygoers to take their chance on free drinks and specialty shots throughout the evening.
3. Instead of wallowing in food, how about making it a run instead? Commonwealth celebrates Valentine’s Day by teaming up with Cupid’s Undie Run, a mile-long run to benefit the Children’s Tumor Foundation. The noon race starts and ends at the Downtown bar. Commonwealth plans to have pre and post-race cocktails, and the 400 anticipated runners can use the venue to store any articles of clothing not needed for the run.
4. Get out there and meet someone new with Eat, Drink and Flirt! at DB Brasserie at the Venetian. This mixer-meets-dinner takes place at the communal dining tables in the bar and lounge. The three course Eat, Drink & Flirt! dining experience is available for $55 per person at 5:30 p.m. Only 16 guests will get to dine this way. For reservations, call 702-430-1235.
5. Made LV has “Just Another Saturday Night” for Valentine’s Day at Tivoli Village. Get truffle fries for $8, a roasted beet salad for $12, a half dozen Beau Soleil Oysters for $18 or a dozen for $32, linguini with clams for $19, a short rib meatloaf for $22, and adult milkshakes for $10. For drinks, Made has the Man Mule with bacon-infused bourbon, ginger beer, lime and bitters; The Stiegler with Absolut citron, grape fruit, bitters and Stiegl Radler; All the Single Ladies with peach vodka, muddled strawberry and citrus soda; and the Hot Mama with Absolut citron, lime, triple sec, ancho chile and pomegranate juice. All are $10.
6. Hecho en Vegas at the MGM Grand throws its first-ever cooking class at 2 p.m. on Valentine’s Day. Executive chef Reed Osterhold shows how to make the perfect margarita and the restaurant’s signature guacamole. Diners land a four-course meal during the demonstration. Cost is $75 at 702-891-3200.
7. What better way to celebrate Singles Awareness Day than a Black Hearts Ball with Marilyn Manson? The singer heads to Hyde Bellagio on Saturday at 10:30 p.m. to turn the nightclub into an anti-house of love. Guests are encouraged to don their sexiest attire for a dark evening full of seductive attractions.