Rachel’s Kitchen at the Ogden at 150 Las Vegas Blvd. N. was shut down by the Southern Nevada Health District after a routine inspection on Wednesday, Aug. 12.
SNHD inspectors found a lack of adequate refrigeration, along with 14 additional demerits including no hot and cold holding equipment, food unprotected from potential contamination and more.
Update, Rachel's Kitchen responds: "Rachel's Kitchen takes the food safety requirements of the Health District very seriously. Due to a malfunction with a kitchen hood and adjacent sandwich prep unit the temperatures at the Ogden began rising, raising concerns about food refrigeration. The SNHD told the restaurant to close until the repairs were made as a safety precaution.
"The hood was repaired and our refrigeration system was checked and confirmed that it was working properly.
"SNHD inspectors approved our re-opening the very next morning.
"Food safety and customer safety is our priority, and we appreciate the diligence of the SNHD in the oversight of all restaurants across our valley."
The restaurant earned a 37-demerit C grade last October.
The health district conducts unannounced inspections at least once a year. Inspections are posted online about five days after the inspection. The Southern Nevada Health District routinely shuts down restaurants that receive more than 40 demerits. Restaurants have the option of requesting a re-inspection before the next scheduled inspection.