Inspectors found cooked noodles prepared in a distrust bus bin and cooked chicken stored in a dirty tub at the restaurant, which has seven locations across Las Vegas. Soda nozzles had black mold, utensils had food debris, and the deli slicer had old meat stuck to the machine. KTNV reports “excessively dirty and greasy conditions throughout the kitchen.” Other demerits came from utensils stored in dirty standing water, a “homemade tool used for tenderizing chicken made from PVC pipe, twine, a sharp metal piece, a towel, and a rubber band,” and “something” floating in a pitcher of water used to refill customer glasses. The restaurant reopened on June 6 with a 10-demerit A grade.
The health department shut down Pho Vegas, the Vietnamese restaurant at 4251 W. Sahara Ave., after finding a multi-generational cockroach infestation on June 6. Other notable demerits came from excessive food debris in the kitchen, red meat turning brown, meat and tofu held at dangerous temperatures, a filthy floor, and a ceiling that appeared ready to collapse. The restaurant reopened on June 8 with a three-demerit A grade.
The health department shut down Fatburger at 4199 S. Fort Apache Road after a customer complained about seeing a live cockroach on the floor. Aside from a cockroach infestation, the inspector found food on the floor that attracted the bugs as well as a lack of hot water on June 4. Fatburger reopened with a three-demerit A grade on June 5.
La Pupusa Loka at 1956 E. Charleston Blvd. was also shut down on June 4 for a multi-generational roach infestation. The restaurant reopened on June 8 with three-demerit A grade.
The health district conducts unannounced inspections at least once a year. Inspections are posted online about five days after the inspection. The Southern Nevada Health District routinely shuts down restaurants that receive more than 40 demerits. Restaurants have the option of requesting a re-inspection before the next scheduled inspection.
• All DOH Chronicles [ELV]