China One at 4990 W. Craig Road earned a 39-demerit C grade, two points away from being shut down by the Southern Nevada Health District, after a routine inspection on July 24.
An employee who handled trash and dirty dishes didn’t wash their hands afterward. Two-week-old sauce and three-week-old noodles sat in the refrigerator. Raw chicken, raw meat, and raw shrimp were either improperly covered or held at unsafe temperatures. The inspector also found dirty kitchen equipment and food prep areas, as well as flies in the dining room and food prep area, and recommended a deep cleaning for the entire restaurant.
China One earned a zero-demerit A grade on July 29. An April 8 inspection at the restaurant resulted in 40 demerits.
Grand Pizza at 6731 W. Alexander Road still has a 39-demerit C grade after a health department inspection on July 23. The inspector cited the restaurant for handling raw ground beef and then touching door handles and utensils, a crusty can opener blade, and dirty equipment including a microwave, deli slicer, and floors. The refrigerator contained expired hard-boiled eggs and ricotta cheese.
The health department shut down Thai Cuisine at 601 N. Nellis Blvd. on July 24 after finding no refrigeration. Expired crab Rangoon, fly paper hanging over the prep food area, dirty floors, and a brown sticky substance on the freezer shelf contributed to the additional 24 demerits discovered at the restaurant. The restaurant reopened on July 28 with a zero-demerit A grade.
The health district conducts unannounced inspections at least once a year. Inspections are posted online about five days after the inspection. The Southern Nevada Health District routinely shuts down restaurants that receive more than 40 demerits. Restaurants have the option of requesting a re-inspection before the next scheduled inspection.
• All DOH Chronicles [ELV]