Rampart Casino permanently laid off an unknown number of its staff through a prerecorded phone call on Tuesday. Michelle Bacigalupi, vice president and general manager of Rampart Casino at the Resort at Summerlin, recorded the phone call, the Las Vegas Review-Journal reports.
“We’ve made the very difficult decision to terminate your employment. We’ve tried to retain our entire team. However, with the continued uncertainties, we are no longer able to do so,” she tells staff who received the call.
“As we look to the immediate future, and the reopening of the company operations, we expect business demand to be significantly decreased for the foreseeable future,” Bacigalupi says in the recording.
Gov. Steve Sisolak closed all nonessential businesses including casinos on March 17, and on May 9, he allowed dine-in restaurants that are not in a casino to reopen for dine-in service with COViD-19 precautions in place. His new order remains in effect until May 30. If coronavirus cases continue to decline and hospital capacity to treat new cases continues to remain available, he may move into the next phase of reopening the state for business. In the past, he’s said that casinos may reopen in phase three or four of his plan. So far, there is no date released for casinos to reopen.
The newspaper says that the permanent layoffs go into effect on May 15. Employees who were part of the health insurance program will receive benefits through May 31, and any remaining paid time off will be compensated through a check this week.
Rampart Casino recently opened a new bar dedicated to Buffalo slot machines.
• Rampart Casino lays off employees with recorded phone message [LVRJ]
• All Coverage of Rampart Casino [ELV]
• Nevada’s Governor Permits Restaurants to Reopen for Dine-in Service on May 9 [ELV]
• Las Vegas Restaurants Will Look Very Different When They Reopen for Dine-in Service [ELV]
• How Coronavirus Is Affecting Las Vegas Food and Restaurants [ELV]