Gov. Steve Sisolak will permit dine-in restaurants and a limited number of other businesses to reopen on May 9 during his first phase of reopening Nevada businesses.
Restaurants can only allow 50 percent seating capacity with no seating in the bar area. Sisolak encourages reservations to keep the number of people in a restaurant down, and tables will be spaced six feet apart. He said staff will need to wear masks, and he encourages customers to do the same. Pubs, wineries, bars, and breweries that serve food are allowed to reopen as long as they serve food and keep the bar area closed.
Earlier this week, the Southern Nevada Health District released a list of guidelines for restaurants that choose to reopen for dine-in service that includes similar recommendations.
Sisolak noted that county commissions may impose stricter guidelines that would supersede his directive. Sisolak’s new directive stays in effect through May 31.
Update: The Clark County Commissioners unanimously agreed on Friday to adopt the same restrictions as the state.
Other businesses that can reopen include outdoor malls, but indoor malls have to remain closed. Indoor malls can continue to offer curbside delivery. Sisolak is also permitting hair and nail salons to reopen, as well as retail businesses, although at 50 percent capacity. That new rule applies to grocery stores and big box retailers such as Walmart and Target now as well. All need to encourage social distancing and staff must wear masks.
Bars that do not serve food and nightclubs cannot reopen. Nor can gyms, entertainment and recreation venues, such as movie theaters and bowling alleys, as well as strip clubs, brothels, massage parlors, spas, tattoo parlors, and casinos.
Sisolak moved up the date for reopening from May 15 to May 9 after seeing a downward trajectory in the percentage of COVID-19 cases, and a decrease in the trend of COVID-19 hospitalizations over a 14-day period. “The trend is strong enough to meet the consistent and sustained criteria for moving into phase one,” he said in the press conference.
Already restaurants such at Egg & I and Egg Works announced plans to reopen seven local locations at 50 percent capacity on Saturday, following the Southern Nevada Health District’s guidelines.
Sisolak initially closed all nonessential businesses — including dine-in restaurants, bars, and casinos — on March 17 to prevent the spread of COVID-19. He extended his stay-at-home order on April 30 until May 15 while telling constituents that the state will phase in reopening businesses. While restaurants have been permitted to offer delivery and takeout service since March, Sisolak relaxed his restrictions to allow retail establishments to offer curbside pickup as well.
• Governor Mandates All Resorts, Restaurants, and Bars in Nevada Must Close for 30 Days to Prevent the Spread of Coronavirus [ELV]
• Governor Keeps Dine-In Restaurants Closed Through April 30 With New Stay-at-Home Directive [ELV]
• Gov. Steve Sisolak Extends Stay-at-Home Order in Nevada Through May 15 [ELV]
• How Coronavirus Is Affecting Las Vegas Food and Restaurants [ELV]