Fargo, North Dakota-based Sickies Garage Burgers & Brews moves closer to bringing its menu of 50 burgers and 50 brews to Town Square this fall, and for those unfamiliar with the chain can expect a colorful hot rod- and garage-themed interior that already includes two vehicles welded to the ceiling.
Now officially scheduled for a fall debut, Sickies moves into the former Claim Jumper restaurant, close to the center of the retail hub and next to the children’s park.
Here’s a look at 11 things to know about the burgers and brews on the way.
- Sickies takes its name from two places. It comes from Sick Boys Motorcycles in North Dakota as well as the term “sickie,” a person who calls in to work “sick” but goes to hang out at a bar.
- The restaurant came together in the early 2000s when a group of friends would meet up to tinker on their motorcycles and cars, or just talk shop. Those meetings turned into dinners with cookouts showcasing insane burgers. And of course that meant the sometimes, the friends would call in “sick” from work in order to hang out and work on their vehicles in the garage.
- The first Sickies Garage Burgers & Brews opened in Fargo, North Dakota, in 2012, and Las Vegas is the first location out west. Another is under construction in Orlando. Additional locations also opened in Bismarck, North Dakota; East Grand Forks, Minnesota; Sioux Falls, South Dakota; Rapid City, South Dakota; and Omaha.
- The funky and fun garage-theme features classic cars, trucks, and motorcycles hanging from the ceiling.
- The menu features 50 burgers, 50 beers, 24 varieties of wings, and 15 appetizers as well as sandwiches, wraps, salads, and malts.
- Novelty is a key on the menu. Sickies offers burgers packed between items such as doughnuts, grilled cheeses, Texas Toast, and a variety of buns and breads.
- Some of the most outrageous burger toppings include peanut butter and sliced jalapeños, pulled pork, and the most popular topping, macaroni and cheese.
- A section of Sickies burger menu will pay tribute to Vegas history, iconic and new.
- Their most popular burger is the Sickies Burger featuring bacon, egg, pulled pork, and onion rings. The Sickies Burger was featured on Yahoo as the “Most Over The Top Hamburger” in North Dakota.
- The restaurant has a rewards program where diners earn free “Sick Bucks” and menu items starting with the customer’s first visit.
- Sickies has a food challenge — The Victory Lap Challenge — with five pounds of food, including the main course boasting a tower of two patty melts filled with pulled pork, bacon, more burger patties, two fried eggs, fried jalapeños, fried pickles, and boneless chicken wings with a grilled cheese sandwiched in the middle. Take down this challenge in 60 minutes or less and get your name on the wall of fame and a T-shirt.