Las Vegas Restaurant Week returns in June with 12 days of three-course menus at local restaurants. But this 14th edition of the fund-raising event from Three Square Food Bank features takeout options and a smaller $1 per meal benefit for the city’s largest food bank.
The organization’s president and CEO Brian Burton says that the coronavirus pandemic forced the event to cancel last year, and now helping restaurants survive becomes the focus. “Southern Nevada has been impacted tremendously by the health and economic fallout of COVID-19, especially our local restaurants. We hope to offer aid through the 12-day event while also benefiting our food-insecure neighbors,” he says in a press statement.
The culinary event June 7-18 hopes to drive business to the participating restaurants and make participation easier. Instead of collecting $4 to $6 of every meal sold from participating restaurants, Three Square will only receive $1 per cover. The event also features takeout options in addition to dine in. In the past, restaurants on and off the Strip could offer prix fixe menus spanning breakfast to dinner at multiple price points.
Last year, Three Square decided not to hold Las Vegas Restaurant Week to focus on emergency food distribution. The food bank says that Southern Nevada continues to see record high levels of food insecurity. Nearly 440,000 community members don’t know where their next meal is coming from, marking one in five people. One in three children is are now living in a food-insecure household.